Thursday, May 21, 2009

Mar 24, 2009

So they come in to check how I'm doing. They ask if my bladder is full and I say yes, I really need to pee. (it's about to become a dominant theme here . . . )

They walk me back in, and Joerg goes back into the waiting area.

I get on their table. And I see the video camera and the photographer behind where my head will be. They're videotaping through the window to the embryologist area, and the monitors watching placement etc.

The photographer gets lots of pictures. At the end, she said if I give her my email addy, she'll send me the pictures. Isn't she sweet! And she also told me I was very brave.

So the dr. again asks if my bladder is full, and they do an ultrasound. I mention I really have to pee. He mentions that if it's not full enough they can add fluid, and if they need to, they can also siphon (sp?) off. But he does a quick ultrasound and says it looks good.

So the get me set up. They ask how I'm doing, and I say I'm nervous about the alcohol swabdown. He said, how did you know about that? It's supposed to be a surprise! (he's laughing/joking about it). I say, I've heard about it from people who've been here before. smile.gif

The wipe everything down on the inside with alcohol. STINGS STINGS STINGS STINGS STING! Did I mention it stings? Ok, . . . so then they put something else that stops the stinging in there. It eventually does feel better. They put the speculum in. They put the tube in. They set up the ultrasound on the monitor, and ask how I'm doing. I'm fine, just really need to pee. That's normal. And of course the ultrasound doesn't help.

They suggest I relax. I say, I'm afraid if I relax, I'll pee. I'm told there's a bucket under the table, so don't worry about it if that would happen.

The embryologist passes the embryos in another tube to the dr. The dr. then inserts that tube into the first tube (which is placed for easy transfer). And they get them in there. Then then remove that tube, and they look through and the tube is clear, so now to look through the outer tube. The dr. says it's just precautionary, he's only had it very very seldom/rare that an embryo gets stuck in the outer tube.

Embryolist says, there's one in there!!! The Dr. said, he just jinxed himself. We all laugh.

So they get a fresh tube, and then put the embryo into another fresh tube. Meanwhile, I really have to pee . . . They ask how I'm doing, and I mention as bad as it seems it's on my brain more than the embryos, I really have to pee . . .

They look through the inner tube, then the outter tube, this time it's clean. smile.gif

So now they take the speculum out. It is literally stuck to my "walls" because of the drying out of the alchol. Dr. said, well, you were also in here twice as long as normal, and that's part of it.

So I ask if I can pee now. Yes, but I have to pee into a bedpan!!! So they wheel me into the recovery area, and set me head down, feet up, and give me a bedpan. And they let Joerg back in. I can't pee. I'm upside down, laying down, this does NOT work for me . . . They try running water for me (and I feel bad for the people on other sides of curtains waiting to go in who probably want to pee too!) About a 1/2 hour later, they try to use a cath on me. Can't get it to work. Try a 2nd cath, lubed. Doesn't work. They call for backup to help cath. I finally pee on my own. They said my bladder was spasming because I really needed to pee! LOL

I stay head down for a full hour.

They come in and go over my restrictions. Bed rest for 24 hours. This is different. Last fall, they had said, you can go to the movies, but not walk around. Andrea said she was surprised they changed this too. So bed rest for me! biggrin.gif It's worth it!!!!


When we leave, we check into our new hotel. What a difference! I can breath. It's so clean! It's just a wonderful king suite. smile.gif If we come back for a 2nd try or a 2nd attempt at more children, I think we'll stay here again. smile.gif





Oh, please ask questions, I can't remember sometimes if I forget things, and I'm willing to talk about whatever we're going through so everyone knows what to expect (or what to possibly expect).

No comments: