4/26
Well, our meeting with the dad is now out to 5/7. That's also our 16th anniversary.
We will hopefully know if he has signed the list or not before then. If he hasn't, then it's just to meet him. If he has, then it's for him to decide if he wants to let the adoption go through or fight.
He had 31 days to sign the registry. If he signs it, he's got an additional 30 days to respond to a letter an attorney would send him. So 61 days basically. (ETA: The 30 days start at the end of the 31, and the 3 options are to the attorney's letter.)
His 3 options:
1. ignore it, and at end of the 30 days his rights are terminated
2. sign off on the adoption
3. file a paternity suit, get dna testing . . .
If he goes for the paternity suit:
Elijah's been in interim care since day after his birth. (Born 4/1). The county would take over the adoption. Elijah would be moved to a new foster care home and be in the foster care system. He would not go back to his mom (I do not know the whole why on that, but I know there were reasons). Dad will have to get an attorney, file the paternity suit, get a dna test to prove paternity. Then he has to complete a homestudy and prove to the county social workers that he can parent, with visits etc. This can all take a year. Elijah would be in foster care until he proves that he's the dad and passes the homestudy. Then there's post placement visits etc. He does not have a job, I do not know if he would have to get a job. But I know with a homestudy, you have to prove financial security. I believe he's living with his parents, but I don't know for sure. I just know that he said his parents would support him and the baby. Which if that's the case, his parents also have to pass the homestudy, as everyone in the home would have to do as well.
For whatever reason, his 31 days are up on May 5. I don't know why, as he was born on 4/1. Might be because they filed the request on 4/5?
So that's the update. That, and I'm not feeling well. I believe it's allergies, but they really struck hard, and my Allegra isn't helping much. It's not sneezing/coughing, it's just watery eyes and sinus. And we're working on installing hardwood floors. I believe that's part of why my allergies are bad. We live next to a gardening center, and we've had the windows open in all this spring pollen time, plus the sawdust from cutting boards etc. It's 3/4" hickory. :) Can't wait until it's done!
Tuesday, May 4, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment