Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Consistent Carbohydrates

I finally got in to see the dietician/nutritionist!
So she's putting me on a new diet, and I'm really already learning something new!

So when I was in 6th grade, they told me milk was a protein! Who changed that to carbohydrate???? I can't even put it in both categories. The Insulin Resistance Diet book called it balanced and said I didn't need to worry about lactose.

It's no wonder my insulin levels remained slightly elevated all the time. I love milk!

Well, it's not a protein, it's now classified "carbohydrate". And she said cheese is a "meat" but milk is a "carbohydrate".

So I'm supposed to pay attention to eating at specific times, and consistently eating the same amount of carbs at meals and snacks!

I'm to read the labels for serving size & servings per container (something I already do), the carbohydrates, and the fats. Well, the only thing I didn't worry about before was the carbs!

I'm to walk for 30 minutes, 3 times a week.

Meal Plan (I'm to concentrate on eating times as well as consistently the same number of carbs at meals and snacks):
(oh and she said if I'm in a (10+/10-) range of the #grams of carbs at meals, it's ok.

7:30 AM:
4 carbohydrate servings (60 grams of carbs)
1 meat or meat substitutes (ah I miss counting milk in my cereal here!)
1 fat

9:30 AM:
1-2 carb choices (15-30g)

12:00 PM:
4 carbohydrate servings (60g)
1 nonstarchy vegetable
2 meat or meat substitutes
2 fats

3:00 PM:
1-2 carb servings (15-30g)

5:30 PM:
4 carbohydrate servings (60g)
2 nonstarchy vegetables
3 meat or meat substitutes
2 fats

8:00 PM:
1-2 carb servings (15-30g)




So I learned yogurt and milk are carbs. Cheese is a meat. I'm really trying to refigure this out now. You hear of this before? It's ok for me to eat sugar (I told her I don't eat artificial sweeteners, and she said that's fine.)

I'm not diabetic, or hypoglycemic. I'm Hyperinsulinemia. I have slightly elevated insulin levels and so I'm supposed to start being consistent with my carbs and that will bring it back under control and finally allow me to lose weight.

I'm really wondering now . . . all these years I just drank so much milk thinking "protein". Ugh!

I see her again in 3 weeks.

I've been doing this for a few days now, and it's actually pretty good! I mean, my energy levels are much more consistent! I'm not perfect at the diet but I'm still learning how it works too.

No comments: